Access methods for GNU machines
The currently supported access methods for GNU machines are:
- CVS: OpenSSH, Kerberos, LSH
- Shell: OpenSSH, Kerberos
The current preferred method for access to GNU machines is OpenSSH.
If none of these options are viable for you, let us know how you plan
to use the GNU machines, and we can try to find alternatives.
To create your account, please do the following:
- For each machine that you'll want to use OpenSSH from:
ssh-keygen -t rsa1 (or
generate an SSH RSA keypair. The resulting public key will be
~/.ssh/identity.pub, which contains one
very long line of ASCII text.
- For each machine that you'll want to use LSH from:
lsh_keygen -l 8 | lsh_writekey to generate
an LSH DSA keypair. The resulting public key will be left in
- Point an https (SSL) enabled web browser at
- Follow the ``New User via SSL'' link, and follow the directions.
- Login to savannah.
- If you are a GNU maintainer and would like to manage your web pages,
source code, and/or ftp area, register your project using the
``Register New Project'' link.
- If you're using OpenSSH:
- Follow the ``Account Maintenance'' link, and then the ``Edit Keys''
link (in the Shell Account Information section).
- Paste your OpenSSH public key(s) into the ``Authorized keys'' text
field. Make sure there are no line breaks, except between keys.
Then click the ``Update'' button.
This will bring you back to the Account Maintenance page. Verify
that the number of CVS/SSH Shared Keys is the number you expected.
If it is higher than expected, then some extra line breaks snuck
in, so you should try again.
- If you're using LSH, email email@example.com your LSH public key(s),
along with your savannah account name.
- If you're using Kerberos, we'll need to securely send your password,
using one of the following methods:
- GnuPG (preferred) -- Please email us your GnuPG public key
- Phone -- Please send us your phone number
- Postal mail -- Please send us your address
Please let us know how it goes. Once you've registered on savannah,
we can give you shell access to fencepost. In order to do this,
please let us know what your savannah account name is.
Return to GNU's home page.
Please send FSF & GNU inquiries & questions to
There are also other ways to
contact the FSF.
Please send comments on these web pages to
send other questions to
Copyright (C) 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is
permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.
$Date: 2002/04/04 19:47:45 $ $Author: mhw $